A tray of Christmas cookies without a Gingerbread Cookie is not a tray of Christmas cookies! At least that’s what our nephew would say, it’s his favorite cookie. Gingerbread cookies can be made into any shape or form and are a real treat for kids to decorate. You can even experiment with different spices.
This simple Gingerbread Cookie Recipe can be prepared by everyone, even without any experience in baking.
2 hours prep time + 8 minutes cooking time
Ingredients for Cookie
- Butter – 1\2 cup (120 gr\4 oz)
- Sugar – 1\2 cup ( 100 gr \ 3 oz)
- Pinch of salt
- Honey – 2 tbsp
- Eggs – 1 pieces
- Baking soda – 1\2 tsp
- Flour – 21\2 cup (300 gr\10 oz)
- Ginger- 2 tsp
- Cinnamon – 1\2 tsp
Ingredients for Glaze
- 1 and 1/2 cups(360 gr\12 oz) powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 and 1/2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions – Gingerbread Cookie Recipe
- 1. In a bowl, mix the butter at room temperature and sugar, stir until smooth and fluffy (for a darker color cookies, you can substitute the sugar with brown sugar, same amount)
- 2. Add honey and eggs to the butter mixture and mix thoroughly.
- 3. Mix flour, cinnamon, ginger, salt .Sift the flour with spices into the dough (optionally, you can add nutmeg, ground cloves, allspice-these will enhance the flavor of your Gingerbread Cookie Recipe). The dough should get soft, slightly sticky. Put the dough in the refrigerator for a few hours, it will cool down and it will be easier to roll out.
- 4. Roll out the dough and cut out the cookie shapes (if you don’t have a mold you can print the shapes on paper and cut them to make cookies-this is a great opportunity to get creative with your Gingerbread Cookie Recipe). Place in the oven for 7-8 minutes at 400F/200C or until lightly brown on the edges.
- 5. Next you’ll have to prepare the icing for decorating. Mix the powdered sugar, milk and vanilla extract together. Keep mixing until it a nice smooth thickness, add food coloring and if needed make more with different colors. Then decorate!